Friday, December 21, 2018

My New Year’s Composting Resolution


Although I am a dedicated composter, I have a confession. My composting habits could use some improvement and I intend to do better in 2019.

Here are my New Year’s Composting Resolutions for all of the world (well, at least you blog readers) to see:

1. I will take out my compost pail at least every other day. 

It seems like before I know it, my compost pail has grown a little annex bowl and then another. This year I plan on making it a regular part of my daily routine. Wish me luck. 


2. I will aerate my pile once per month. 

My compost bins have multiplied over the last two years and it has allowed me to be a little lazy with the turning. As in, almost never aerating my pile. This results in slower composting and it can lead to odors if you are not careful.




3. I will write more regular blog posts. 

Sorry, friends, but we have been super busy here in the office (working on lots of great projects, I swear). But sharing our love of composting is important too and we have several exciting 2019 composting projects to announce this year. Stay tuned!

What are your New Year’s Composting Resolutions? Share in the comments below.

Wishing you all a happy and regenerative new year!  





6 comments:

  1. I gave my kitchen compost bucket away this year at a White Elephant Swap.... Before you groan, let me tell you why. I used a plastic container one time while my aluminum bucket was waiting to be hand-washed, and "the light dawned". While my aluminum bucket needed hand-washing, my old plastic dishes can just go in the dishwasher. Dishwasher is totally the way to go, in my opinion. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you discussed what to do over the winter with a tumbler style bin? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to leave it alone or tumble it? Am I supposed to still add green and brown during the winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, different models have different advice, but as long as you are still able to turn the tumbler, keep adding greens and browns. As soon as it warms up in the spring that composting will kick back into action. Avoid overpacking it though, you don't want to set yourself up with an impossible to turn bin.

      Delete
  3. As a fellow composter, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! Thanks for sharing I added some thoughts on Garden composting ideas sometime ago

    ReplyDelete