Thursday, April 26, 2018

Does Our Prolonged Winter Affect My Compost?


Guest Post from Brad Miller

As I was taking the compost out in my winter jacket in mid-April, I started wondering how this delayed spring has impacted my compost pile. Spring has definitely been slow to arrive this year as noted by four measurable snowfalls in April.

As with most of the spring flowers and trees, the composting process in your pile has been slow to get going. No need to worry though. Warmer temperatures are arriving and your compost pile will be back on track in no time.

The optimist in me says:

Just remember to keep mixing in your food scraps and coffee grounds. Now that the weather is a little warmer, you can start turning your pile.

By fall, you will have a compost material which can be added to your gardens. 

Happy Composting!



No comments:

Post a Comment